FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is the SPCA de PV related to the national or international SPCA?
No. It is a freestanding organization.
Are donations in the U.S. tax deductible?
- Yes. Our IRS NUMBER is #26- 365-6362. As of December, 2008, we are incorporated in the U.S. Checks must be made out to PVCA (PreVention of Cruelty to Animals), our registered U.S. name. Please send checks c/o Julie Nunn, 2136 Oak Street, Napa, CA 94559 U.S.A
What is full name of the organization?
- Sociedad Protectora y Compasiva por Los Animales de Puerto Vallarta, A.C. (Protective and Compassionate Society for the Animals of Puerto Vallarta)
Is the SPCA de PV registered as a non-profit organization with the Mexican government?
- Yes – A.C. stands for Asociacion Civil. SPCA de PV hopes to be registered in the near future with IJAS (Institutoe Jaliciense de Seguridad Social).
How do I adopt an animal?
- Adoption day sponsored by the SPCA de PV is Saturday at the Biblioteca Los Mangos on Francisco Villa between 10 AM and 2 PM. For photos-www.spcapv.com
Is it possible to transport an adopted animal outside Mexico?
- YES, and it’s very simple. One needs a health form filled out by a vet and the airline needs to be called with reservation for cargo or cabin transport.
- Per Pet Passport Information – The Internet’s most complete source of information for traveling with your pet anywhere in the World by car, train or air:
- Airline Temperature Restrictions
- Temperature Restrictions have been established by some airlines to ensure animals are not exposed to extreme heat or cold in the animal holding areas, terminal facilities, when moving the animals between terminal and aircraft or on an aircraft awaiting departure.
- Heat Restriction: Pets will not be accepted by some airlines when the current or forecasted temperature at the arrival or departure airport is above 84F (29C) at either location on the itinerary (75 degrees for snub-nosed dogs and snub-nosed cats).
Can one send an unescorted cat or dog from Puerto Vallarta to the U.S. or Canada?
- Yes, but it’s expensive. You must contact a customs official – 209-2901 or 209-2191 to give dimensions. Cost depends on size of kennel and only one animal per kennel. Minimum cost is $400 U.S. Maximum cost of $700 U.S. We advise finding someone to bring a dog up with her or him to your city.
Can I have someone bring me a dog or cat to the U.S. or Canada for adoption ?
- Yes, it is a possibility, and we have had successes in arranging this. The weekly newsletter can request people traveling to your city to take the dog or cat. You would be responsible for cost of the carrier and cost of transportation and must be at the airport to retrieve it. Please specify what kind of dog or cat is preferred and what size and age.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Is there a donation required for adoptions at the Library ?
- Yes. SPCA de PV requests a minimum of 500 pesos per dog and 300 pesos per cat. Donations help us with our expenses and are also indications of one’s ability to pay for future vet care. I.D. is also required.
Is the SPCA de PV incorporated and have charity status in the U.S.?
- Yes – To avoid confusion with the national SPCA, we have a different name in the United States. PVCA (PreVention of Cruelty to Animals).Our IRS number is 26 365 6362.
- Checks must be made out to PVCA, our registered U.S. name. Donations are tax-deductible.
- Please send checks c/o
Toller & Novak, LLP
Box 558..1407 Main St.
St. Helena, CA 94574
How can I see photographs of some of the animals available to to foster or adopt?
How can I make arrangements to foster a pet or to find a foster home for one?
- Contact our Foster Home Coordinator – Estrella Puebla – email@example.com
Does the SPCA de PV pay expenses of food or vet care for foster animals?
- No. We are currently unable to commit to this extra expense. We need to depend on the generosity of our foster homes. Expenses are usually quite minimal.
If I foster an animal, am I required to pay an adoption donation if I decide to keep it?
- No, though we are always grateful for any and all donations. If you foster a kitten or cat, the SPCA de PV will arrange to have it spayed or neutered at the clinic of Dr. Juan Tamayo, who donates one free feline surgery Monday-Friday.
What are the directions and telephone number for the Centro de Acopio?
MAP TO THE CENTRO DE ACOPIO
From downtown, take Francisco Villa East (same street as Library) heading toward Pitillal. At the Fluvial entrance take a RIGHT, East, there is a sign with the Acopio logo on it.
Follow that road until you reach the end and take a left, north, where you will see another Acopio sign. Go three blocks and make a RIGHT, east (this is Pavo Real. There is a blue road sign on the apartment building and an Acopio sign on a post.
Follow Pavo Real – stay to the left at the fork where you will pass Rancho Leon (polo ponies) on your right and another Acopio sign. You will then come to a cement sign that says “Colonia Santa Maria.” At that street you will need to veer LEFT onto Santa Maria. Go 1 block to the split in the road and keep going STRAIGHT onto Playa de Oro street. Go about 4 blocks, take a LEFT, north. The road ends here.
Go to the first street on the right (looks like a run-down log cabin on the corner). This is Costa de Oro street, where you’ll see another Acopio sign. Take a RIGHT at Costa de Oro and go up the hill – until you see the CENTRO DE ACOPIO ANIMALES sign, make a left. Turn right into the driveway, there is a big gate. Tel: 293-3690
What is the address for the Biblioteca Los Mangos?
- 1001 Francisco Villa
Which hotels in Puerto Vallarta are Pet Friendly?
- Brisas Vallarta 322-222-1821 www.brisasvallarta.com
- Hacienda San Angel 322-222-2692 www.haciendasanangel.com
- Mexican Resort in Los Tules
- Hotel Westin
- Gran Velas
What kinds of animals are available for adoption?
- Kittens and cats, puppies and dogs
Can the SPCA de PV recommend a good vet?
- MVZ JUAN DE DIOS TAMAYO RUBIO
Versalles Animal Hospital – Adanaca #176 Local 4 – Colonia Versalles Tel: 322-2240-249 www.versallesanimalhospital.com
There are several other very good vets in Puerto Vallarta, including:
- Francisco Medina Alvarez – Calle 20 de Noviembre # 386, Colonia Pitillal 322-135-2323; 044-322-128-8100
(No English – will make house calls and takes emergency calls on cel)
Phone – 222-5775; Emergencies 044-322-292-7510
- In Bucerias – recommended by Molly Fisher, Director of PEACE in Nayarit:
Marinna in Valle Dorado. She is located across the highway from the Tepic Marlin restaurant. Telephone: 322.297.5466
- Dr. Manuel Peña – Melchom Ocampo
- Dr. Alejandro (an orthopedic surgeon)
San Salvador 385
222-9106 or cell 322-779-2187
Where can I board my pet?
- Beach Dog Boarding & Salon – Lo De Marcos
Call: Melanie at 322-147-5615
- Carolina Archer – firstname.lastname@example.org
At Carolina’s your dog will feel as if at summer camp. 145-3782 (Nextel. If you are in area code 329, it is 322) She lives in Paso Ancho, but often does pick-up and delivery of animals.
Food Must be supplied
- Monica’s – Animals well looked after and safe. Her kennel is located just a few blocks behind San Javier Hospital. (044-322-132-4460) Dogs get exercise time to run and play in grass.
Food Must be supplied
Can you recommend a good dog trainer?
- Sr. Carlos R. Ochoa 2993030 – 044 322 2942063
(Recomended by the President of the Association in Puerto Vallarta)
Where can I go for free neutering and spaying of my pet?
- Check with PEACE – www.peacemexico.org; the location changes every week. For directions to the spay/neuter clinic, contact email@example.com or 044 322 102 3327 or –
firstname.lastname@example.org or check our website under “events” – www.spcapv.com. Also check with the Centro de Acopio for their neuter and spay clinic schedule – 293-3690. To volunteer: please sign up with Joanne Bryla, schedule coordinator – email@example.com
Is there a local trap and release program for feral cats?
- Yes, there is a program. For information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do I do if I can no longer care for a pet?
- Send notice to Sandra Briones-who will post this information on our email@example.com; put a free ad in Mano a Mano; speak with your friends and neighbors and your vet.
What should I do if I’ve lost a pet or found a pet?
- Send a notice to our blogspot c/o firstname.lastname@example.org; contact email@example.com; put a free ad in Mano a Mano
Does the SPCA de PV accept dogs rescued from the street?
- Yes, if the person takes the animal to a vet to be tested for parvo and distemper and gets certification and if there is room at the Casita de Guadalupe.
Does the SPCA de PV accept cats rescued from the street?
- No, we do not have the facility in which to shelter them. However, a few kind individuals have offered to foster cats and kittens. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to locate a temporary home for them.
How do I report a case of animal abuse or neglect?
- Call the Ecological Police – 293-2192
- To report cruelty to animals: FOMENTO AGROPECUARIO – Jesus Palacios, 290 0550
- ECOLOGIA MUNICIPAL -Rafael Garcia de Quevado y Salvador- 225 9658 or 225 0678
- For pelicans and other wildlife – email@example.com – they have a facility to care for these injured animals.
- Also report to Subdireccion de Ecologia Municipal.
- 224-8506 by Oscar Aranda of firstname.lastname@example.org.
- www.profepa.gob.ms/profepa Procuraduria Federal de proteccion al Ambiente 293 21 92
What do I do about a dog that barks all night and disturbs the peace of the neighborhood?
- Speak politely with the owner. If the barking dog isn’t taken inside during sleeping hours or muzzled, call the Comandante Guardia – 29-00-502
Can the SPCA de PV physically rescue animals?
- No. We neither have the staff nor the equipment to do so. If you cannot rescue and foster the animal, injured animals or animals in danger should be reported to the ecological police or to the Centro de Acopio. If you can rescue an animal and can take it to a vet to test for distemper and parvo, it is possible we can accept it at our foster home, provided space is available. If animal is healthy, SPCA de PV would vaccinate, sterilize and take dog (we cannot take cats yet) to the Library for adoption. If it is a healthy feline, we can arrange to have Dr. Juan Tamayo sterilize it and then it would go to the library for adoption. Dr. Tamayo donates one free sterilization to the SPCA de PV a day of a cat or kitten, M-F. www.versallesanimalhospital.com
How do I report wildlife abuse?
- www.profepa.gob.ms/profepa Procuraduria Federal de Proteccion al Ambiente-293 21 92
Who can I complain to about owners with constantly barking dogs?
- Call 066
Can the SPCA de PV rescue animals?
- No. We neither have the staff nor the equipment to do so. If you cannot rescue the animal, Injured animals or animals in danger should be reported to the ecological police or to the Centro de Acopio.
How can I donate money?
- Instructions on our website – www.spcapv.com under “donate” tab.
How are donated monies allocated?
- Where the need is greatest, i.e., neuter and spay programs, rescue costs, future private shelter.
How can I donate vet supplies?
- Contact email@example.com.
What supplies are most needed?
- Surgical instruments, self-absorbing sutures, sterile surgical gloves, and anything else than can be used to benefit animals.
Whom do I contact to volunteer on adoption days at the Biblioteca Los Mangos?
- Volunteer coordinator is Judith Peters – firstname.lastname@example.org
What committee work volunteers are needed ?
- Casita de Guadalupe- our foster home
- Corporate and Business Sponsorships
- Data Base
- Educational Programs
- Foster Homes
- Neuter/Spay Clinics
- Pet Placement for off-site adoptions
- Vet Supplies Donations
Whom to I contact to volunteer?
Does SPCA de PV have a private shelter?
- No, it is a future goal to create and operate one. As of Octuber, 2008, we have a foster home for dogs, “Casita de Guadalupe.” We need individual foster homes for cats and kittens.
Can I arrange to have a street rescue dog go to the Casita de Guadalupe?
- Yes, depending on space available and with proof of negative for distemper and parvo, contact email@example.com ó Luz Wong firstname.lastname@example.org
Does SPCA de PV have a private shelter?
- No, it is a future goal to create and operate one.